Mediterranean Sea Scallops
Starting another round of getting back in control and cooking at home. Fresh Scallops were available and I found a previous post I had made about this dish 4 years ago! Unfortunately I could not find the recipe so I made up my own going by what was in my last picture. This turned out very tasty and a little rich so you might want to have a nice dry white wine with it. Looks a little messy in the photo but this is real life folks and what it looked like right after I mixed it all together. Try it. Be flexible. It turned out really well using the Ghee instead of olive oil or regular butter and I'm sure the wine helped too! I wouldn't call this Paleo because of the wine but you can leave it out. I'd say it's more of a great low-carb dish. Enjoy!
- 1 pound sea scallops (dry packed if you can get them so they don't have the preservatives in them) (about 1-1/2 to 2 dozen) remove muscle from each scallop if necessary
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 lemon (for 1 Tblsp of zest and Tblsp juice)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large bag fresh baby spinach leaves / power greens mix if you can find them.
- Salt to taste.
- dash of ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons Grass-fed Ghee – (or butter if you desire). The Ghee holds up better and doesn't burn since it has no milk solids in it.
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay).
1. Rinse scallops under cold running water and pat dry. Lightly season with salt.
2. Zest lemon to equal about 1 tablespoon.
3. Heat pan over medium-high heat and then add the Ghee. Add shallots and cook and stir 1 minute. Add the spinach/greens mix, lemon zest, some lemon juice if you want a tart mix or leave out; salt and pepper to pan. Cook until spinach starts to wilt; and remove spinach to serving platter.
4. Add tomatoes and olives to pan. Heat until the tomatoes are warmed and start to split. Move to separate plate until end when you will add them to the pan with the deglazed scallop juice.
4. Return skillet to heat or using another pan – heat over med-high heat 2-3 minutes or until hot. Add Tbsp Ghee. Add scallops and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown, turning once.
Remove scallops and place over spinach.
5. Add white wine CAREFULLY to pan to deglaze. Stir up the browned bits in the pan to make a juice. Add the tomatoes and olives to heat and mix together. Pour over spinach/scallops.Serve immediately.
Yield - 2 large servings